Neurological and Neuropsychological Rehabilitation; Stroke, Brain, Spinal, Head Injury and complex Neurological conditions at Woodlands, York.
Woodlands is a Specialist Level 2 Neurological Rehabilitation Centre. We deliver high quality intensive neurorehabilitation for patients:
- who are over 18
- with acquired brain injury
- with severe or complex neurological conditions
- with complex stroke
- who require assessment for Prolonged Disorders of Consciousness (PDoC)
- who require specialist multidisciplinary input on an inpatient basis
- who require complex disability management or assessment
- who require SMART assessments
Acquired brain injury is an inclusive category covering patients who have sustained a head injury or undergone neurosurgery, those who have suffered a vascular event, cerebral hypoxia, toxic or metabolic insult, infection, inflammation or other disease of the central nervous system.
We are able to accept patients with tracheostomies and can continue weaning and decannulation programmes. Our Nurses can also care for patients having enteral feeding.
Our Neuropsychology Team provides specialist patient centred behavioural management and cognitive assessments and rehabilitation.
Dr Platts also leads on specialist spasticity management including on site botulinum toxin injections.
Woodlands is part of Christchurch group (winners of Complex care provider of the year 2018) and a Headway Approved Provider 2017-19.
Woodlands Neurological Rehabilitation Centre is a purpose built building with excellent facilities, WiFi throughout and equipment including 25 ensuite bedrooms plus 2 further rooms forming a transitional living flat.
The centre has a large physiotherapy gym, a purpose built occupational therapy kitchen, a lounge, a conservatory, large dining and activities area.
Set in three and a half acres of mature wheelchair accessible, landscaped gardens and close to local shops and public transport, Woodlands is 1.5 miles from York city centre and with easy access to the motorway network, providing good transport links to Hull, Leeds, Scarborough, Harrogate, North Yorkshire and the A1 corridor.
Dr Marina Platts, Consultant in Rehabilitation Medicine, leads our specialist interdisciplinary team including Speech and Language Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Neuropsychologist, Therapy Technicians, Specialist Nurses and Rehabilitation Assistants.
We also have regular input from other professions allied to medicine, including dietetics, orthotics and wheelchair services. Other visiting therapies including Music Therapy and Pets as Therapy.
Patients will benefit from:
- Consultant led care
- Seamless care from ITU to specialist rehab and beyond
- Outpatient follow up appointments
- Shared expertise with Consultants at the Acute Trust
- Advice from neurologists readily available
- Close working with the Neuro Therapy Team in the Acute Trust
- Shared protocols with the Acute Trust
- Links with the Acute Hospital Pharmacy
- Access to Acute Hospital training
- Community integration
- Rotation of staff through the Acute Trust
- Non hospital setting
Our Therapeutic Activity Co-ordinator organises social activities tailored to patients’ interests and abilities.
We pride ourselves on delivering excellent patient centred, interdisciplinary specialist care within a supportive environment in order to maximise quality of life.
Recognised clinical outcome measures are used to monitor and evidence the patient’s progress, including the Functional Independence Measure/ Functional Assessment Measure (FIM/FAM), Goal Attainment Scale (GAS), Rehabilitation Complexity Scale (RCS), Northwick Park Dependency Scale (NPDS), Northwick Park Care Needs Assessment (NPCNA) and Modified Overt Aggression Scale (MOAS). For those in prolonged disorders of consciousness the Sensory Modality Assessment and Rehabilitation Technique (SMART) and similar assessments are used.
Benefits to our Commissioners include:
- Referrals made by a Rehabilitation Medicine Consultant
- Use of agreed stratification tool to evidence Rehab need
- Links with Yorkshire Rehab network of Consultants
- Access to a Specialist Centre in the local area
- Part of Yorkshire and Humber ODN
- Part of NHS England Complex Rehabilitation collaboration
- IFR funding – Gate keeping to ensure appropriate use of resources
- Invitation to progress meetings and discharge reviews
- UK ROC registered centre
- Admissions report clearly identifying goals
- Discharge report clearly outlining achievements
- Qualitative data available on rehab outcomes
- Quantitative data available on cost effectiveness of rehab
The flexible services at Woodlands reflect the needs and abilities of each patient with the aim of moving people through the care pathway and equipping them with the skills they need to, if possible, return home or into a supported environment.
The Christchurch strategy is to empower people to access and benefit from occupational, social and educational pursuits, and achieve full participation and inclusion in community life. The company’s service ethos is based on integrity, transparency, compassion and positivity.
You can read the latest CQC report for Woodlands York by following the link below. You can also read and leave a public review of our services by following the link below to the Woodlands listing on the NHS Choices website.