Neurological and Neuropsychological Rehabilitation; Stroke, Brain, Spinal, Head Injury and complex Neurological conditions at Woodlands, York.
Here at Woodlands we deliver high quality specialist intensive neurorehabilitation and care for patients with neurological conditions including Stroke, Acquired brain injury (resulting from trauma or illness), Spinal cord disorders. We provide specialist care and management for patients with progressive neurological disorders such as Huntington’s Disease, Multiple Sclerosis, Motor Neurone disease and Parkinson’s Disease. We have a four-bed Transitional Ventilation Unit with specialist nurses.
Woodlands is part of Christchurch group (winners of Complex care provider of the year 2018) and a Headway Approved Provider 2017-19.
Woodlands Neurological Rehabilitation Centre is a purpose built building with excellent facilities and equipment including 24 ensuite bedrooms plus 3 further rooms forming a transitional living flat. The centre has a hydrotherapy pool, large physiotherapy gym and purpose built occupational therapy kitchen. Our in house chef provides delicious home cooked food. Woodlands sits in three and a half acres of mature wheelchair accessible, landscaped gardens and is 1.5 miles from York city centre. We welcome pets to visit. We are close to local shops and public transport. An ideal environment for rehabilitation, respite and long term care.
Dr Elizabeth Iveson MbChB, FRCP(UK); Stroke and Neurorehabilitation Consultant, is the Clinical Lead at Woodlands, leading a dynamic, specialist interdisciplinary team including Speech and Language Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Neuropsychologist, Specialist Nurses and Rehabilitation assistants, providing inpatient Neurorehabilitation and care at Woodlands. We also offer many other complementary therapies including Music therapy, Hydrotherapy and have activities coordinators who organise multiple social activities, tailored to the individuals interests and abilities. We pride ourselves on delivering excellent patient centred, interdisciplinary specialist care within a supportive and nurturing environment in order to maximise the quality of life in persons with a wide range of neurological conditions.
We care for patients with highly complex physical disability, impairment and cognitive behavioural needs, including the management of patients with tracheostomies, stomas and feeding tubes.
Specialist services we offer:
The services at Woodlands include:
- Neuropsychologist providing specialist patient centred behavioural management and cognitive assessments and rehabilitation
- Consultant led service
- Specially trained nurses trained in all aspects of care including trache-ostomy and stoma care and continence management as required on site 24 hours a day
- Rehabilitation assistants on site 24 hours a day
- Hydrotherapy pool
- Fully equipped large physiotherapy gym
- Large purpose built occupational therapy kitchen enabling patients to plan and prepare their own meals, daily breakfast and lunch clubs
- Music therapy -delivered by specialist Music therapist
- Transitional Ventilated unit, staffed with highly skilled and specialist staff trained to deal with all aspects of ventilation care, airway and chest management with specialist knowledge in spinal care and conditions.
- Care for ongoing nursing needs resulting from diabetes, epilepsy, open wounds or feeding tubes.
- Patient centred care and regular goal setting with measurable out-comes
- Home cooked delicious food with on-site chef
- Activities coordinator organising a wide range of extra social activities including cooking and gardening clubs, pet therapy, trips out
- Large landscaped gardens, fully wheelchair accessible specialist moving and handling equipment
- 3 bedroomed transitional living flat with facilities for families to stay Monthly onsite orthotics Clinic
- Consultant led specialist spasticity management including on site bot-ulism toxin injections
- Weekly GP visit
- Wi-fi, TV/ games room and conservatory for patients and relatives to visit and relax in
- Training and facilities to provide Neuro Palliative care
- High levels of specialist staff training programs
The Christchurch strategy is to empower people to access and benefit from occupational, social and educational pursuits, and achieve full participation and inclusion in community life. The company’s service ethos is based on integrity, transparency, compassion and positivity.
You can read the latest CQC report for Woodlands York by following the link below. You can also read and leave a public review of our services by following the link below to the Woodlands listing on the NHS Choices website.