Janet Barnes Unit, Hunters Moor Neurological Rehabilitation Centre
0121 777 9343
The Janet Barnes Unit provides specialist Level 2 Neurological, Neuro Rehabilitation and Neurobehavioural services in Hunters Moor
Janet Barnes Unit, Hunters Moor Neurological Rehabilitation Centre, provides Neurological, Neuro Rehabilitation and Neurobehavioural services. The unit is a Headway Approved Provider.
Individuals are usually admitted directly from an acute hospital setting or level 1 rehab setting once medically stable. Here, they are able to continue the rehabilitation they were unable to complete whilst in hospital, thereby achieving rehabilitation goals they would not have otherwise met.
The Janet Barnes Unit (JBU) accommodates 28 people requiring neurorehabilitation which may include complex physical rehabilitation needs. The bedrooms are all ensuite. level access bathrooms. All rooms have access to nurse call and emergency call systems. There is access to therapy facilities including a gym, kitchen and talking therapies room. There are communal and private lounges and a garden with a patio and planter boxes.
The interdisciplinary team is led by a Consultant in Rehabilitation Medicine, assisted by Speech and Language Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists, Neuropsychologist, Therapy Technicians, specialist Nurses and Rehabilitation Assistants.
Specialist nurses are able to provide care to those who are in a prolonged disorder of consciousness and residents with ongoing, neurological nursing needs resulting from diabetes, epilepsy, open wounds and those with stoma, or PEG feeding can also be supported.
The team work in close conjunction and joint assessment with the NHS west Midlands Rehab Centre for orthotics, posture, wheelchair, spasticity and have access to communication technology.
At Hunters Moor, the team work together to develop person-centred, evidence based rehabilitation care plans that aim to maximise the individual’s functional independence and recovery.
Services we offer
- Post acute COVID pathway
- Neurological rehabilitation
- Cognitive rehabilitation
- Neurobehavioural rehabilitation
- Management of progressive neurological conditions
- Specialist spasticity management
- Complex postural management
- SMART Assessment of Prolonged Disorders of Consciousness
- Bladder & bowel management for spinal cord injury nursing
- Brain injury
- Spinal injury
- Progressive neurological conditions
- Prolonged disorders of consciousness
- Peripheral neurological conditions EG GBS
- 27 bedrooms with ensuite bathrooms
- 1 self-contained studio flat
- 6 bedrooms with ceiling track hoists
- Communal lounges on both floors
- Physiotherapy gym
- Occupational therapy kitchen
- Talking therapies room
- Large garden with patio